Life is hectic, we know, so here’s a recap of the Healthcare Weekly Hot Topics you can’t afford to miss:
1) Ascension Health begins layoffs in Michigan. Crain’s, February 20, 2018.
Ascension Health Michigan is laying off employees after reporting a 78% decline in operating income.
2) U.S. FDA says recalls, destroys certain kratom-containing dietary products. Reuters, February 21, 2018.
Kratom is plant known to ease withdrawal symptoms, but the FDA has found linked it to a salmonella outbreak.
3) Bon Secours and Mercy Health Merger Creates Regional Hospital Giant. The Wall Street Journal, February 21, 2018.
Two large hospital systems announced their plan to merge.
4) Trump Moves to Relax Rules on Cheaper Health Insurance. The New York Times, February 20, 2018.
The Trump administration proposed new rules making it easier for consumers to buy cheaper health insurance policies that do not comply with the ACA.
5) Google AI now can predict cardiovascular problems from retinal scans. Healthcare IT News, February 19, 2018.
Google AI has successfully predicted cardiovascular problems like heart attacks and strokes from images of the retina.
Do you have questions about healthcare issues? We can help. For assistance, CLICK HERE.
Get “News You Can Use” delivered directly to your e-mail inbox. CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE.
P.S. If you or your patients are interested in consumer healthcare issues, check out myhealthspin.com.