A recent data breach at Corewell Health has exposed the data of approximately one million patients.
We can help you stay on top of the latest news that affects your everyday life. Subscribe to stay up to date. (To subscribe to our blog click here).
A breach occurred at Welltok, Inc., a software company, on May 30, 2023. It exposed names, dates of birth, email addresses, phone numbers, medical diagnoses, health insurance information and Social Security numbers of Corewell patients.
The breach is the fourth largest this year.
Other companies were impacted nationally, but Corewell was the only company impacted in Michigan.
Corewell is mailing a notice letter to those impacted by the breach.
How can you protect your healthcare entity from similar breaches?
Unfortunately, as healthcare data is incredibly valuable to hackers, breaches and attempted breaches are frequent.
It is essential to work with your healthcare attorney to protect your practice.
We recommend starting with the following steps:
- Performing a risk assessment to find any vulnerabilities and address them;
- Ensuring your inventory of devices is up to date and all devices are secure;
- Enabling remote shut down of all devices;
- Ensuring all firewalls and security measures are effective and up to date;
- Having a thorough breach readiness plan, along with offsite backup of all data;
- Making sure all employees are thoroughly trained on privacy, security, policies and procedures, phishing and ransomware, and your breach readiness plan.
If you need help protecting your practice, we’re here to help. Call Rickard & Associates for all of your legal needs today.
We know you’re busy. Subscribe to our blog to get updates and news sent directly to your inbox!
We publish vital information on health law topics and news every Wednesday and Friday. To get this important information delivered directly to your mail box, subscribe today!
Do you need help with updating your Business Associate Agreement or negotiating contracts with third-party vendors? We can help. To contact us about your Business Associate Agreement, your vendor contracts or your other legal needs, call us today.