Often, we hear from clients that they want a simple estate plan. What they really mean is that they don’t have the time, understanding, or bandwidth to devote to their estate plan. We understand.
We can help you stay on top of the latest news that affects your everyday life. Subscribe to stay up to date. (To subscribe to our blog click here).
If you can relate to our clients who are intimidated by the process of estate planning, here are some tips that may help you:
- Understand that quick “fixes” can lead to a lot more work in the future. Don’t take shortcuts now, that could cause headaches in a few years. This includes things like putting your adult children on your bank account. While this may help you now, if that child gets divorced, sued, or needs quick cash, your money is at risk.
- Find the right attorney for you. If you find an attorney that you like working with and that understands your needs and concerns, the process will be much easier. You can then communicate all of your concerns to the attorney and they can help you streamline the tasks and even take responsibilities off your plate.
- Do the ‘easier’ tasks. If there are small jobs that you can do, like identifying beneficiaries and tracking down bank statements before you meet with your attorney, do them! Even if you just have a small list of things done, the small things add up. Your attorney can help you identify what information you need and can walk through the decisions that you will need to make with you.
- Ask if your attorney can assist with pieces that you aren’t comfortable doing. For example, if tracking down the deed to your house is overwhelming – have your attorney find it from the Register of Deeds. If funding your trust is too daunting, ask your attorney how they can assist you.
- Know that once your estate plan is in place, updating it is typically a simple process. Once you have an estate plan, no matter what situations come your way, you can rest easier knowing that you have a foundation in place.
If you have concerns about the complexities of estate planning, call us today. We work with clients to make the process as easy and pain-free as possible!
Contact us today to help you get the right documents in place or to update your current estate plan. We will plan so that you don’t have to worry about your future.
We publish vital information every Wednesday and Friday. To get this important information delivered directly to your mail box, click here to Subscribe.
Contact us today with all your legal needs!