Life is hectic, we know, so here’s a recap of the Healthcare Weekly Hot Topics you can’t afford to miss:
1) Tighter Prescribing Rules: An Anti-Abuse Strategy That Could Hurt Patients in Pain. Kaiser Health News, November 30, 2016.
Many states are making it harder for doctors to prescribe addictive painkillers to patients, however, this is causing physicians to worry about access for patients with chronic pain.
2) A new technology is being developed using just 1% of the finite resource needed for traditional MRIs. Business Insider, November 29, 2016.
MRI machines use helium to keep the magnets inside cool, but now, GE is creating technology that uses only 1% of the amount of helium.
3) Deadly Infections Linked To Heart Surgery Device Highlight Holes In FDA Monitoring. Kaiser Health News, November 29, 2016.
A heater-cooler device used in heart surgeries have design features that make them prone to contamination.
4) DMC layoffs don’t include sterilization facility. The Detroit News, November 30, 2016.
The DMC is laying off employees, but not from workers at the heart of the surgical instrument investigation.
5) Anthem’s Cigna Takeover May Draw $3 Billion Blue Cross Fine. Bloomberg, November 30, 2016.
If Anthem fails to derive most of its revenue from Blue Cross products, it could face a penalty of $3 billion.
Do you have questions about healthcare issues? We can help. For assistance, CLICK HERE.
Get “News You Can Use” delivered directly to your e-mail inbox. CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE.
P.S. If you or your patients are interested in consumer healthcare issues, check out myhealthspin.com.