Cyberattacks and the following consequences can be extremely costly.
We can help your practice stay on top of the latest healthcare news, rules, regulations and trends. Subscribe to stay current and up to date on important matters that will impact your practice. (To subscribe to our blog click here).
Recently, Anthem paid $39.5 Million to settle an investigation into a 2015 cyberattack.
The Anthem attack occurred when a user opened a phishing email. This allowed hackers to get remote access, although Anthem maintains that there was no evidence the hack resulted in fraud.
Anthem already paid $16 Million to HHS’ Office for Civil Rights to settle potential HIPAA violations and $115 Million to settle a class action associated with this hacking event.
Two members of a hacking group from China were indicted for the attack.
Beyond the above costly settlements, Anthem will likely need to increase its staff trainings and has reputational harm to consider as well.
The cost associated with some cyberattacks can cause some entities to shut down.
Now is the time to protect your practice from cyberattacks.
Prepare your practice and your staff by being proactive.
Take the following steps:
- Make sure your policies and procedures are up to date
- Train your staff on your policies and procedures, and what to do in the event a breach occurs
- Check your firewalls and anti-virus software to ensure they are effective and up to date. Do intrusion testing
- Send fake phishing emails to help staff recognize what to watch out for
- Make sure your risk assessment is up to date so that you can minimize any vulnerabilities
- Make sure that your practice is covered by sufficient cyber insurance
We help our clients protect against cyberattacks and breaches and mitigate the damage following any attacks.
Preparing now can save your business down the line.
In our next blog post, we will keep you informed of related issues. To get this important information delivered directly to your mail box, click here to Subscribe.
Do you need help staying current and compliant with the latest laws, rules and regulations? We can help. To contact us about your new government rules and regulations, your practice’s risk assessment, or about your other legal needs: CLICK HERE.